Suggest remedies for frequent urination and delay in initiating urine while on Alfoo tablets

Dr. P. T. Patil

Urologist

Posted on Tue, 20 Sep 2016 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Question: Hi i'm XXXXXXX aged 26. I have been prescribed for Alfoo tablet due to frequent urination problem and i have been taking it since 1 year. In between i had some gap on consumption of the tablet like one month or two month, but however i restarted since problem occurs once medication is stopped for certain time. Now i'm feel some problems in my day to day life such as frequent urination, delay in initiating urine, continuous feel or irritation for urination or not feeling as completion stage. Now i'm yet to check with my doctor. I'm afraid that this can do any thing with after marriage life. Can you please explain me on how this can make implications in my life activities?
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
You need to consult qualified Urologist for evaluation .

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for your query ,based on the facts that you have posted it appears that you have obstructive voiding symptoms like frequency for urination ,hesitancy ,poor stream and irritative bladder symptoms like urgency ,feeling of incomplete emptying of bladder etc and have been prescribed Alfuzosin which you have been taking since one year..

I shall be happy if you can post me few more details to help me in making comments on your problem.
1) Is this drug prescribed by a general Practitioner or Urologist ?
2) Have you done ultrasound scanning of abdomen before you were advised to take Alfoo? and confirmed you to have enlarged prostate ?

Alfuzosin is a drug that is generally prescribed in elderly patients who have obstructive urinary symptoms and are confirmed on investigations to have benign enlargement of prostate which usually starts after the age of 55 years or in a young individual with suspected infection of prostate

In view of your age being just 26 years it is utmost important to trace out the cause for your symptoms and treat accordingly .

I would suggest you consult qualified Urologist for clinical and digital rectal examination and get following basic tests done to confirm the diagnosis.
1) Urine routine and culture.
2) Ultrasound scanning of abdomen and pelvis
3) Endoscopic examination of bladder (Cystoscopy) to rule out Bladder Neck obstruction .
3) Serum PSA.

Further treatment will depend upon result of these tests and final diagnosis.

As regards your query about long term side effect of taking Alfoo It has side effects like retrograde ejaculation which can have negative impact on sexual satisfaction of your partner .

Hope I have answered your query ,please feel free to ask if you have more questions , I shall be happy to help you .
Thanks and Regards.
Dr.Patil.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad