Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties
142 Doctors Online

By proceeding, I accept the Terms and Conditions

Dr. Andrew Rynne
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

HCM Blog Instant Access to Doctors
HCM BlogQuestions Answered
HCM Blog Satisfaction

Suggest remedies for frequent urination and delay in initiating urine while on Alfoo tablets

Answered by
Dr. P. T. Patil


Practicing since :1971

Answered : 10117 Questions

Posted on Tue, 20 Sep 2016 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Question: Hi i'm XXXXXXX aged 26. I have been prescribed for Alfoo tablet due to frequent urination problem and i have been taking it since 1 year. In between i had some gap on consumption of the tablet like one month or two month, but however i restarted since problem occurs once medication is stopped for certain time. Now i'm feel some problems in my day to day life such as frequent urination, delay in initiating urine, continuous feel or irritation for urination or not feeling as completion stage. Now i'm yet to check with my doctor. I'm afraid that this can do any thing with after marriage life. Can you please explain me on how this can make implications in my life activities?
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
You need to consult qualified Urologist for evaluation .

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your query ,based on the facts that you have posted it appears that you have obstructive voiding symptoms like frequency for urination ,hesitancy ,poor stream and irritative bladder symptoms like urgency ,feeling of incomplete emptying of bladder etc and have been prescribed Alfuzosin which you have been taking since one year..

I shall be happy if you can post me few more details to help me in making comments on your problem.
1) Is this drug prescribed by a general Practitioner or Urologist ?
2) Have you done ultrasound scanning of abdomen before you were advised to take Alfoo? and confirmed you to have enlarged prostate ?

Alfuzosin is a drug that is generally prescribed in elderly patients who have obstructive urinary symptoms and are confirmed on investigations to have benign enlargement of prostate which usually starts after the age of 55 years or in a young individual with suspected infection of prostate

In view of your age being just 26 years it is utmost important to trace out the cause for your symptoms and treat accordingly .

I would suggest you consult qualified Urologist for clinical and digital rectal examination and get following basic tests done to confirm the diagnosis.
1) Urine routine and culture.
2) Ultrasound scanning of abdomen and pelvis
3) Endoscopic examination of bladder (Cystoscopy) to rule out Bladder Neck obstruction .
3) Serum PSA.

Further treatment will depend upon result of these tests and final diagnosis.

As regards your query about long term side effect of taking Alfoo It has side effects like retrograde ejaculation which can have negative impact on sexual satisfaction of your partner .

Hope I have answered your query ,please feel free to ask if you have more questions , I shall be happy to help you .
Thanks and Regards.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions ,   ,   ,  
Medical Procedures ,  

Recent questions on  Enlarged prostate

doctor1 MD

My husband got very nauseated and extremely sweaty while urinating. He also got shaky. This happened once before about 5 years ago. What could...

doctor1 MD

At times I have floatys in my vision, 2 toes that have partial feeling loss, and diarrhea off and on after eating. Pre existing conditions are...

doctor1 MD

I was just diagnosed with low or intermediate risk prostate cancer . I can t remember when sometime after my biopsy or diagnosis I started to get...

doctor1 MD

I have been diagnosed as having Grade II enlargement of prostrate measuring 40 cc. PVR urine 20 cc.No evidence of ascites.PSA within normal limits...

doctor1 MD

Good morning Dr Chandan, I will be obliged if you kindly advise me for my father s problem, which is a combination of hernia and prostate. My...

doctor1 MD

Hi,have been recently been diagnosed with an enlarged prostate ,today i started taking flomaxtra which my uroligist prescribed for me.I have to go...

doctor1 MD

I have enlarged prostrate diagnosed about two years back , I am 47 years now , My doctor prescribed me urimex 0.4 mg which I taken for two months &...