Suggest remedies for flaky scalp

Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney

Dermatologist

Posted on Mon, 17 Jul 2017 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: I have been having unusually high flaking of my scalp. I can wash my hair and the same day it will be flaking. I have tried anti dandruff shampoos like selsun blue and head and shoulders, as well as Vicks balm for its anti fungal quality but none have helped. What do you recommend I do to get back to a healthy scalp? Also I recently developed an unusual sensitivity in my pubic region.(I am a woman). It is unusually drier than before (I moisturize regularly) and often looks white from dryness. Earlier it had an itchy rash that would form scabs. That has stopped however the area is now unusually dry. The adjoining area between my pubic region and legs is also darker and more sensitive. I suspect this might have related to use of a shaving stick but I am not sure.
Answered by Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney 33 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Management of flaky scalp

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Thanks for being at HealthcareMagic
If I was your treating doctor I would recommend you to use ketoconazole shampoo twice weekly and apply lotion containing combination of clotrimazole and beclomethasone on the flaky areas of the scalp twice daily.
Besides this take oral medication like capsule itraconazole 200 mg once daily for 2-3 weeks.
These are prescription drugs and you need to see the doctor in person to get them.
For pubic region apply moisturising cream containing white soft paraffin on the pubic and groin region twice daily.
Dr Asmeet
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney 8 hours later
What brand of moisturizing cream do you recommend for the pubic area? Also can you recommend something other than a shampoo? I already tried anti dandruff shampoos and they haven't worked for me. Thank you very much
Answered by Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney 35 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Cetaphil moisturising lotion or moisturex soft lotion

Detailed Answer:
You can use either Cetaphil moisturising lotion or moisturex soft lotion for the pubic area.
For flaky scalp you need to use shampoo.
They contain various antifungal preparations for dealing with flakiness.
Use either ketoconazole shampoo or ciclopirox olamine shampoo.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney 6 minutes later
Thank you for the quick response. I have already used many shampoos such as head and shoulders and selsun blue with anti fungal ingredients. They didn't work. That is why I wonder what to do seeing as the antifungal shampoos haven't worked for me. I appreciate your help. Please also recommend a shampoo brand that you think will be more effective than the ones I've already tried. Please explain why that should be more effective too. Thank you
Answered by Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney 3 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Recommending use to go for shampoo,oral and topical antifungals

Detailed Answer:
You have used only OTC preparations.
I am recommending you to use an antifungal shampoo along with an antifungal lotion and oral antifungals.
Combined treatment will be effective.
Follow up: Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney 50 minutes later
What brand of topical lotion and shampoo do you recommend as well as brand for oral?
Answered by Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney 23 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Names of the brands

Detailed Answer:
You can use candid B lotion or zydip C lotion.
Kenz shampoo or 8X shampoo can be used for head wash.
Cap canditral 200 mg or capsule onitraz forte 200 mg can be taken.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Follow up: Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney 14 minutes later
Thank you very much
Answered by Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney 12 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Welcome!!

Detailed Answer:
Welcome!!
All the best!!