Suggest remedies for edema in leg post injury

Dr. Ronald Schubert

Posted on Wed, 8 Jun 2016 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: I am 62 years old and took a fall and broke my shoulder. I also injuried my leg and it is swollen. Foot,calf, and knee are swollen. I take coumadin for a heart valve replacement. What can I do for the edema in my leg?
Answered by Dr. Ronald Schubert 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Leg swelling after fall

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for contacting HCM with your health care concerns

I am sorry to hear that you are having swelling from your fall in the leg. The swelling is from soft tissue injury and possible contusion from your fall. This will get better over time. There is nothing you can do that will speed the healing process. The best thing is to elevate your leg and reduce the amount of walking and especially standing that you do.

Diuretics will not help reduce the swelling and may actually cause you to become dehydrated or have kidney problems if you use too much.

I hope I answered your question. Please contact us again if you have any additional questions