Suggest remedies for ear infection

Dr. Michelle Gibson James

Posted on Wed, 5 Apr 2017 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: hi my name is XXXXXXX i went swimming last night and all day i have been having problems hearing and cleaned it out a little nd i had green wax coming out when i cleaned and now my ears are hurting and still is draining green and yellow wax
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 45 minutes later
Brief Answer:
ear infection present, would need antibiotics either topical or oral

Detailed Answer:
Hi, thanks for using healthcare magic

The green and yellow discharge imply that an infection is present in the ear. Infections are more common in persons who spend a lot of time in the water.

It may be an infection of the outer ear (otitis externa) or middle ear (otitis media).

An assessment by your doctor would be required to determine the exact nature of the infection.

Antibiotics would be needed, either oral or topical drops to the ear. In addition, you would need to stay out of the water for a few days.

Anti inflammatory pain killers can be added to help with any pain eg naproxen , cataflam, ibuprofen

Though the ear may feel irritated, it would be best to avoid trying to clean it.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions