Suggest remedies for dry cough in a child

Dr. Pradeep Kumar

Pediatrician, Cardiology

Posted on Mon, 20 Mar 2017 in Child Health
Question: The child is an infant (Male) and he is 9 months old.

Symptoms:
1. The child has dry cough since Friday, 24th Feb and also a slight running noose.

Other details:
1. The urine & stool is normal, no fever, taking burps after feeding, sleeping fine, not cranky.
2. Allergy: None observed
3. Medicine given: None
4. Activities: Normal
Answered by Dr. Pradeep Kumar 48 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Most likely viral upper respiratory tract infection

Detailed Answer:
Hello

Thanks for choosing this platform

Cough with running nose in this age is mostly due to some viral infection or allergy(allergy history is not always positive).
I won't get overly worried as the child is active, playful, breathing normally, there is no vomiting or noisy chest and accepting feeds well.
Giving some medications like salbutamol a bronchodilator(prevents airway spasm and thus relieves cough) with some antihistaminic and decongestant combination like chlorpheniramine with phenylephrine (to take care of allergy if any and decreasing nasal congestion) helps. Please get it prescribed by a pediatrician.
Most of the time symptoms subsides after 4-5 days of treatment.
I suggest you to observe for any significant abnormality like breathing difficulty, poor feeding and irritability or lethargy and if you notice any please consult your pediatrician immediately.

I hope this helps.
I shall be glad to help you out if you have any more queries.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj