• question-icon

Suggest remedies for dry cough, cold and diarrhea in an infant

Posted on Thu, 2 Jun 2016 in Child Health
Question: My child is 2.5 yr old weight 12.5 kg..wad suffring from and dry cought. Doctor prescribed him Atarax and socentus. After 2 days of medicine cold condition was same however his stool is loose from morning and his stomach was upset in the night he is suffering from mild pain in stomach and vomoting.please advice..
Answered by Dr. Sumanth Amperayani 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Sugary base in cough syrups might sometimes cause diarrhea

Detailed Answer:
Hi...Do not worry about the diarrhea. Sometimes sugary syrupy base in the cough syrups can cause this type diarrhea called osmotic diarrhea and this is not a major problem.

The other possibility is that everything could be a viral illness and the dry cough and diarrhea could have been the manifestations of the same viral illness.

If the cough is not disturbing the night sleep and daily activities of the kid - I suggest you stop the cough syrup and Atarax. Cough is in fact a protective reflex and it actually helps in clearing the mucus from the lungs in such a young kid.

Regarding diarrhea and pain in the stomach -

Unless the kid's having low urine output or very dull or excessively sleepy or blood in motion or green bilious vomiting...you need not worry.

There is no need to use antibiotics unless there is blood in the motion. Antibiotics might worsen if unnecessarily used causing antibiotic associated diarrhoea.

I suggest you use zinc supplements (Z&D drops 1ml once daily for 14 days) & ORS (Each small packet mixed in 200ml of potable water and keep giving sip by sip) as hydration is very important and crucial part of treatment.

Regards - Dr. Sumanth
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Dr. Sumanth Amperayani

Pediatrician, Pulmonology