question-icon

Suggest remedies for dry and sun burnt lips

Posted on Wed, 25 May 2016
Question: although I wore a hat while on the beach in Hawaii, I did not put sunscreen on my lips. I think my lower lip got burned. Using the the meds I mentioned, I keep the sore moist and the lip from drying out and cracking, the sore doesn't seem to be healing or shrinking. Is there something else I should be using?
Answered by Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney (1 hour later)
Brief Answer:
Cortisone cream along with moisturizers

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for being at Health Care Magic .

In case of sun burn I recommend my patients to apply Cortisone cream on the affected area twice daily besides keeping the area moisturized by frequent use of moisturizing cream.

Topical antibiotics are recommended if the area is suspected as infected.

Dr Asmeet
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney

Dermatologist