Suggest remedies for dizziness, tingling sensation and nausea

Dr. Bhanu Partap

Cardiologist

Posted on Wed, 25 Oct 2017 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: Hello,
I used to have very high systolic bp 4 years ago(about 160/80) but got it cunder control after lifestyle changes (I'm only 25 years old).

Lately I've been experiencing dizziness, tingling sensation in my nose and a bit of nausea. About 4 weeks ago it got really bad and I completely blacked out when standing and I hit my head pretty bad. I went to the hospital and the doctors there made me take a CT an MRI and an Electroencephalogram to see everything was ok with my head (which fortunately was) and then they also did an Echocardiogram and an all-day Blood Pressure test and all-day Electrocardiogram. For the blood pressure test I got a mean value of 128/58 while being awake and 121/53 asleep, (which was meassured on my left arm) which seemed to be quite low for the diastolic pressure to me but the doctor said that I should only worry about high BP values and dismissed me.

About a week ago I felt really dizzy again (I was close to pass out again) while making an effort and decided to start checking my BP with a home monitor I have. at different times of the day for 5 days in a row and was quite surprised to find out my mean bp on my right arm to be around 129/76 and the one on the left arm 132/55, with some meassurements for the diastolic on the left arm going as low as 46 (only for the left arm). I believe this might have to do with it, could it be that I have some clogged arteries and that's why I have such a pronounced difference in diastolic pressure between the two arms? I would appreciate it if you could help me.
Answered by Dr. Bhanu Partap 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
I think your lifestyle modifications needs readjustment

Detailed Answer:
Hello

After going through the medical details provided by you of your health I can understand your concern and I would like to tell you that your symptoms are not due to any clogged arteries or so.

In the cases in which defects in the arteries create a difference in blood pressure it happens with systolic Bo not diastolic.

It's good to hear that you have controlled your blood pressure simply by applying strict lifestyle changes to your daily life but I believe somewhere it is getting overdone. You need to increase daily water or fluid intake as well as also slightly increase your dietary salt amount as it will help regularise your blood pressure.

I hope this information will answer your query and guide you properly.

Kind regards
Dr Bhanu partap
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Bhanu Partap 25 minutes later
Thank you very much for your response doctor. I'll do as you say. Isn't it unusual though that im having a 20 mm/hg diastolic difference between my 2 arms? And also. Is it okay for me to raise a little bit my salt insume even though my sistolic is usually borderline hypertensive (about 138 or so).
Answered by Dr. Bhanu Partap 13 hours later
Brief Answer:
Hello Again

Detailed Answer:
Approximately 4% of the young individuals which present to hospital do have difference in their diastolic bp which is greater than 20 mmHg. Reason of this in young individuals are not clearly understood.

In old age it could be due to atherosclerosis. And in young people is could be due to some structural abnormality of blood vessels which is rare and can be diagnosed with the help of proper physical examination and diagnostic screening modalities.

You can discus this with your treating doctor.

If your average systolic bp remains around 140 then no need to increase the salt just increase the fluid intake.

Hope to have been helpful.

Kind Regards
Dr Bhanu Partap
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana