Suggest remedies for difficulty in breathing while on Cortisone

Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta

Posted on Wed, 5 Apr 2017 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: For a serious flu a few years ago, in which I had trouble breathing and was not offered any antibiotic the first time I visited a doctor, I was then prescribed a course of Cortisone for a month or more.
I just want to know is this could have caused a) unusual weight gain b) hormonal change causing abnormal breast size increase?
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 2 hours later
Brief answer.....not possible after many years of stopping steroids.
Detailed answer.....
I have read your query and understand your concern.
Steroids can cause increase in weight but it is only temporary and happens while using them,however it can happen if a person is taking steroids regularly.
It is not possible for steroids to result in increase in weight after many years of their use.
Your increase in weight seems to be due to some other reasons .
These reasons could be just due to slower metabolism and lack of exercises as it happens in old age or post menopausal phase.
It could be due to depression or intake of certain medicines like anti depressants,beta blockers etc.
Medical problems like hypothyroidism or Cushing syndrome can also cause weight increase.
I would advise you to consult a doctor and get examined and investigated to find the cause.
In mean time start doing regular exercises and take care of calorie intake.
I hope it helps,however you are most welcome to revert to me for any further query.
Best of luck
Thanks

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana