• question-icon

Suggest remedies for diarrhea

Posted on Fri, 27 May 2016 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: My husband has had diarrhea for over a week. He is on lots of heart medicine such as coreg, lasix, effient, telmisartan and he has diabetes type 2 and in on glipizide, metformin, januvia, and bydureon. He has been taking pepto bismal and tums because his stomach also bothers him. He has lost 11 pounds and is very weak. He wants to sleep all the time. What can we do to stop the diarrhea. I am afraid this will affect his heart and his debibilator. He thinks he has to go to work everyday. He is 66 years old. Thank you
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Pls read my suggestions below and write back to me about antibiotics

Detailed Answer:
Hello ma'am and welcome.

Thank you for writing to us.

I have gone through your query with diligence and would like you to know that I am here. I too am worried about his heart, even more because he is on medications like lasix (diuretic) which promotes fluid loss from the body, when he is already losing a lot of fluids through diarrhoea. His blood sugar may also fluctuate due to the fluid loss, and also if this is in fact an infection.

I would recommend the following:

+Keep him strictly on a liquid diet
+Provide him with at least 3-4 litres of water each day, more if tolerated
+Stick to a bland diet
+Introduce probiotics to his diet, either natural ones (e.g. yogurt) or probiotics (drinks or edibles) that are readily available in medical or grocery stores
+Use loperamide (which should be available over-the-counter) that helps reduce the intensity and frequency of bowel movements
+Antibiotic coverage would be the main soldier in attacking the diarrhoea if at all it is caused by an infection, which we can confirm using a stool analysis and a blood count. If you can get your hands on any antibiotics, or have some at home, write back to me with their names, and how many you have (in number of each type)

I hope you find my response helpful. Please feel free to write back to me for any further clarifications, I am always here to help.

Best wishes.
Follow up: Dr. Shoaib Khan 1 hour later
What is loperamide. We do not have any antibiotics in the house. What do you think he should take.

Thank you for your help.
Brief Answer:
Loperamide is a medication that reduces the frequency of diarrhoea

Detailed Answer:
Hello once again.

Loperamide is an ingredient (usually marketed under the name IMODIUM in most countries I have worked in), is used in individuals suffering from diarrhoea, and is available over-the-counter in most countries. Check in your medical stores to see if you can get your hands on it.

As for antibiotics, if you cannot get your hands on them, then just follow all the other instructions given in my previous response ma'am, and let me know if there is anything else I can help you with.

Best wishes.
Dr. Shoaib Khan