Suggest remedies for diarrhea and acid reflux when diagnosed with umbilical hernia

Dr. Grzegorz Stanko

General Surgeon

Posted on Sat, 17 Sep 2016 in Lump
Question: I have an embilical hernia .... I have slot of acid reflux... And I get bound up so I take a laxative... I am farting and have diarrhea... If it where strangulated would I still be able to fart and poop?
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 16 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Yes, you would be able to fart and poop.

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Thank you for the query.

Umbilical hernia is a little different than other hernias. It has a direct contact to a fatty tissue located inside the abdomen (called omentum). So in case of strangulation, mostly only the fat stuck inside the hernia. And usually no intestine is there. So I would say, strangulated umbilical hernia does not give bowels obstruction mostly. You would be able to pas gas and stool in such case. Pain in the umbilicus along with the hard lump would be the only symptom.

Hope this helps.
Regards.