Suggest remedies for dental abscess

Dr. Honey Arora

Dentist

Posted on Fri, 18 Mar 2016 in Dental Health
Question: My husband is in excruciating pain and has been unable to find relief for the past 48 hours. He was able to see a dentist yesterday for a diagnosis and he was notified that he has an abscess. The dentist prescribed clindamycin antibiotic, Vicodin for pain and Ibuprofen 800 mg which he started yesterday at 9am. He is still unable to sleep or relax. The side of his abscess, you can see in his face has swollen seriously. He is not scheduled until Tuesday for treatment and we are wondering if there is anything he can do in the mean time to relieve this pain or find some comfort. Is there anything an ER visit can do to help? We did page his dentist several hours ago, but have not heard back at this time.
Answered by Dr. Honey Arora 35 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Go for local anaesthesia injection, take Narcotic pain killer..

Detailed Answer:
Hi..
Welcome to HEALTHCARE MAGIC..

I have gone through your query and really feel bad about your husband's pain..

As he has a dental abscess that is formed when the tooth infection progresses below root tip of tooth..

It leads to formation of pus below root tips which puts pressure over nerve fibres leading to excruciating pain..

As of now you can take him to Emergency Room and ask them about giving a local anaesthesia injection..

It will relieve pain to some extent in a few minutes.
You can also ask them to prescribe higher painkillers like Tramadol or Ketorolac that can relieve moderate to severe pain..
You can also do cool compresses over the swollen cheek..

This is all about getting temporary relief..

You should also visit your dentist soon because till the time the pus will not be drained off he will not get complete relief..

The dentist can either start with the first sitting of root canal treatment in which he will drill a deep hole in tooth under local anaesthesia and make an escape way for pus..

As pus will drain off immediately relief will start occurring..
In case if tooth has an extensive decay extraction of tooth can be done..

The medicines which are already advised to him that is Clindamycin , Vicodin and Ibuprofen has to be continued.

Any further questions are welcome..

Thanks and regards.
Dr.Honey Nandwani Arora.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee