Suggest remedies for dark brown patches under the armpits

Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia

Dermatologist

Posted on Mon, 19 Sep 2016 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: Hello,

I have developed dark brown patches under my armpits since a few months. I do not use deodorants directly on my skin, nor use any perfumes etc. I do not sweat excessively as well, hence am curious about the possible root cause of this. To reduce the patches, I apply lemon directly to my armpits, which reduces the patches to some extend. Request your advise please on this, Thanks !!!
Answered by Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia 52 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Kindly send few good resolution pictures of the area.

Detailed Answer:

Welcome and thanks for posting your query to the forum.

I can understand your concern for the various possibilities of dark patches over your arm pits.

In view to help you best I request you to kindly upload few good resolution pictures of the affected area. For that you have a feature on the right side of the page.

Do let me know your weight and height or if you have gained bit of weight in last few months or in 1 year.

Hope to hear soon from your side.

With regards,

Dr Sanjay Kanodia
MD Dermatology
Follow up: Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia 46 minutes later
I have uploaded the pictures doctor.

My weight is 68 kgs and height is 5 ft. 8 inches. My weight has been constant over the last 4-5 years, as I exercise daily. My daily routine consists of commute for 1.5 hours one-way and working in AC office whole day. Do let me know if you required more information.
Answered by Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia 51 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Fungal infection: various suggestions and guidance for the same.

Detailed Answer:

Welcome and thanks for posting your query to further follow up with details and pictures.

After analyzing the complete details and correlating with pictures it is evident that you have fungal infection of the arm pit area.

Fungal infections are common type of infections which can affect anybody at any site. But more commonly it affects the areas which are more prone for sweating or moist areas. More specifically these are related to the hygiene and environmental factors. In your case as you exercise daily so you have more tendency of sweating and also the weather is more humid at this time.

Due to hot and humid climate or due to tight and synthetic clothing,it leads to growth of fungus at any part of the body.

In your kind of cases I suggest my patients to follow the suggestion below:

- Keep your self away from hot and humid climate.

- Take two times bath.

- Wear cotton clothes and cotton undergarments to be changed two times a day. Do not wear any synthetic or tight garments.

- Do not sit continuously for long hours.

-Don't try to scratch or rub the area as can lead to further aggravation of the problem.

I suggest my patients to apply latest anti-fungal creams such as "Sertaconazole" or "Amorolfine " and take anti-fungal tablets such as terbinafine 250 mg according to medical advise. I suggest you to meet a dermatologist as fungal infections are becoming quite resistant to treatment and requires a proper and adequate treatment.

I hope this helps.

"Wish you good health and early recovery from the problem"

Dr Sanjay Kumar Kanodia
MD (Dermatology)
Follow up: Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia 21 minutes later
Thanks a lot Doctor ! Appreciate your quick response to my query.
Answered by Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia 32 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Good health wishes.

Detailed Answer:
Dear young fellow,

Welcome back and thanks for your swift follow up.

I am happy to know that you are now aware of your simple condition. Do follow my suggestions and get a proper medications as per dermatological advice.

My all best wishes for your healthy life.

Thanks a lot for using our forum.

With regards,

Dr Sanjay Kanodia
MD Dermatology