Suggest remedies for cough while on Albuterol

Dr. Ivo Ditah

Posted on Fri, 3 Nov 2017 in General Health
Question: My 4 year old daughter was diagnosed with asthma week ago, and put on albuterol. She has taken it for a week now, but still has hacking cough that won't go away. I am beginning to think the albuterol don't work. Any advice?
Answered by Dr. Ivo Ditah 30 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Is he having breathing difficulties?

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thanks so much for this query.

Albuterol is certainly a great drug for asthma. Its efficacy is evaluated by looking at the frequency of asthmatic symptoms/crisis. Cough doesn't always suggest that and might be wrong to evaluate this drug by looking at this. Cough, is not a typical presentation of asthma but difficult whistling breathing.

In all, I will like to know what the frequency of her asthma symptoms are and whether she still has breathing difficulties or no. Unproductive cough doesn't suggest a failed treatment.

I hope to hear back from you
Waiting...
Follow up: Dr. Ivo Ditah 10 minutes later
One week ago she had to go to the hospital because she had breathing problems. No, she has no breathing problems now, just a constant, hacking cough. is it safe to continue the abuteral treatments?
Answered by Dr. Ivo Ditah 19 hours later
Brief Answer:
Yes, continue albuterol!

Detailed Answer:

This is okay. There is no need to get worried at this time. The hacking cough shouldn't be a concern at this time.

I wish her well. Feel free to follow up with me.