Suggest remedies for cough and cold in a child

Posted on Mon, 31 Jul 2017 in Child Health
Question: My 3 year old daughter is suffering from cold and cough. I have given maxtra for cold. Please suggest some medicine and it's dosage for cough.
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 57 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Likely to be due to a viral infection.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

I have gone carefully through the details and understand your concern. Most often such symptoms are due to viral infections and antibiotics are ineffective in such cases. Irrespective of treatment it usually spontaneously resolves in 5-7 days.

Such infections are frequently associated with an allergic component. If cough or nasal discharge is present it is advisable to give some antiallergic like cetirizine once daily for next few days. Alternatively, Maxtra Drops can be give. Let me know the body weight of the child and I will let you know the suggested dose.

You need to give steam inhalation to your child. It helps in reducing the congestion. Just sit with your child on your lap and place the source of steam before you. The water vapor will be in the air and automatically the child will breathe it in. Water vapor will reach deep inside and would help in diluting the cough and thus would provide relief. Use Nasoclear Saline Nasal Drops in case of nose block.

Let me know if I could help further.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. Diptanshu Das 13 minutes later
12kg
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 15 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Maxtra syr. can be continued

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing back. Syr. Maxtra 3.5ml thrice daily can be give for next few days. Alternatively, Syr. Relent (Cetirizine) 2.5 ml once daily can be given for the next few days.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Diptanshu Das 18 minutes later
Relent Plus Syrup can be given ?
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Can be given.

Detailed Answer:
Yes, Relent Plus syr. can be given. 2.5 ml once daily.

Follow up: Dr. Diptanshu Das 18 hours later
After 2 dosage of Maxtra, cold has reduced but listening to cough it seems that the cough mucus/ phlegm is heavy or thickened compared to yesterday. Is there any need to change or add any medicine ?
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Steam inhalation is the mainstay of treatment.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing back. You need to give steam inhalation. It will help in reducing the cough. No medicines needed. Continue Maxtra for the time being.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Follow up: Dr. Diptanshu Das 1 hour later
for how many days she should be given maxtra.
Brief Answer:
Depends on the persistence of symptoms. 2-3 more days should suffice.

Detailed Answer:

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Dr. Diptanshu Das

Pediatrician