Suggest remedies for constipation

Dr. Muhammad Ali Rauf

Posted on Fri, 26 Aug 2016 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: I have had constipation for approximately 2 weeks. I have used stool softeners, laxatives and enemas. I have gotten some bowel movement from these but do not feel it is enough. All of the bowel movements are runny. I do not get hungry, I do eat occasionally and I drink water (approximately 1 gal per day). I feel like I am bloated all of the time. I have occasional pain in my lower left abdomen. What else can I do to relieve the constipation?
Answered by Dr. Muhammad Ali Rauf 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Need workup at hospital as general measures have already been taken

Detailed Answer:
Hello

Thank You for contacting HCM. My name is Dr Muhammad Ali Rauf & I'll look into your problem.

I have gone through your query and would try to help you in the best possible way. Following measures in most cases help in reducing the problem:

1. Supplements won't be enough so to increase Dietary fiber intake:
It is available in multiple forms like fresh fruits, vegetables & cereals.

2. Good to know water intake is already increased, please continue :
It is the key to treatment. Take at least 8-10 glasses of water daily. Avoid milk & milk products because in some cases it aggravates constipation.

3. Oral stool softeners:
They are easy to use and have shown good results. Some of the OTC includes Colace & Surfak. Avoid long term use.

4. Methyl Cellulose is a bulk producing laxative is OTC. You can take 2 caplets after every 6 hrs.

Above mentioned treatment is mainstay for constipation. As you have gone through most of the measures so I would suggest you to once visit hospital and get an appointment for a consultant gastroenterologist. He/She will examine you and may order some labs including serum electrolytes and ultrasound abdomen. Further prescription medicine management will start then.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help.
Wishing you good health !!
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee