Suggest remedies for constant pain in the lower back and leg while having scoliosis, herniated disc, pinched nerve and sciatica

Dr. Ivo Ditah

Posted on Thu, 22 Nov 2018 in General Health
Question: I have constant pain, lower back and right leg. Right leg is numb and feels like a vice is putting a lot of pressure on it. I have scoliosis , herniated disc, pinched nerve and sciatica. Tried a lot of natural remedies including CBD products. I realize that most of the drugs out there have some really serious side affects and I have stayed away from them to this point but my quality of life is down the drain. At 81 years of age it might be a push of which way to go out.
Answered by Dr. Ivo Ditah 56 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Physical therapy!

Detailed Answer:

Hi and thanks so much for this query.

At your age, surgery is really not the best option. You will benefit much for physical therapy. I strongly recommend that you take physical therapy session for this alongside medications.

Unfortunately, medications come with their side effects but the gains given all the symptoms you have reported would outweigh the potential side effects.

I hope this guides and helps. I wish you well. Feel free to follow up with me if need be.

Regards.

Follow up: Dr. Ivo Ditah 1 hour later
I understand about physical therapy what I need to know is what prescription would do the most good with the least amount of side affects. Or the most effective prescription and what would the side effects be?
Answered by Dr. Ivo Ditah 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
Epidural injection of steroids!

Detailed Answer:

There seems to be a consensus on the use of epidural glucocorticoids for adults with persistent radiculopathy due to a herniated disc who desire intervention for pain relief, understand that benefits are limited and short-term who are poor candidates for surgery.

Major side effect is that this leads to accelerated bone loss that can cause osteoporosis and fractures. Also, chronic steroid use can lead to weight gain and diabetes.

Hope this answers your query.

Dr. Ivo Ditah, Internal Medicine Specialist