Suggest remedies for cold and nasal congestion while on Relent

Dr. Deepak Patel

Pediatrician

Posted on Wed, 5 Apr 2017 in Child Health
Question: Hello Doctor,

My daughter is 9.5 months old and is having cold and nasal block issue from past 1.5 weeks. Doctor suggested to give Relent + and codphos DX syrup 2.5 ml each in morning and night for 3 days and use saline drops for nasal congestion. Though the intensity of the cold reduced , she still has occasional sneezing and coughing and still has nasal block issue . Doctor suggested to continue Relent+ and codphos DX for additional 3 to 4 days.
However the occasional sneezing continues. Adding to it saline drops aren't helping her much. Otrivin pediatric gives some relief. However I am concerned about the frequency of its usage. Any guidance is of help.
Thanks in advance
Answered by Dr. Deepak Patel 51 minutes later
Brief Answer:
No need to continue for so long

Detailed Answer:
hi,
welcome to this forum,
can understand your concerns.

Occasional sneezing is not a problem in child and does not need any medicine. Since, you have already given the said medicines for around 7 days, there will be no use of continuing it further.

occasional sneezing is normal and is related to change in environment, exposure to cold temperature. you should take some precautions like avoid cold water, avoid cold drink, avoid ice cream, use diaper at night, cover child properly at night, use warm clothes if child throws the blanket away.

since, there is no fever or chest congestion, possibility of infection is remote. I think there is no need to continue this medicines any further.

if sneezing persist, then an examination by doctor should be done so that we may not miss any important finding like chest infection.

I hope this will help you. Wishing your child could help. Take care.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Follow up: Dr. Deepak Patel 44 minutes later
Hello Doctor,

Thanks for advice. What should I be doing for the nasal block issue?
Answered by Dr. Deepak Patel 22 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Saline nasal drops can be used

Detailed Answer:
hi,
welcome once again.

You can use saline drops like nasoclear one drop in each nostril when nose is blocked. This is not medicine it's just plain saline drops so it's safe to use and there is no dependency on drug later.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj