Suggest remedies for chronic hiccups
Baclofen should be tried as a second line medicine!
Thanks for choosing HCM,
There are a number of medications available for the treatment of hiccups,However success of medication depends and varies from one patient to other.
Some of the most commonly used medicines are chlorpromazine(which you were on),haloperidol ,baclofen,metoclopramide and gabapentin.
As chlorpromazine sedated you a lot ,I would suggest you to go for Baclofen.Baclofen is commonly used as a second-line therapy to chlorpromazine.It is a muscle relaxant and is very helpful in treating hiccups.A study conducted a study following 37 patients with chronic hiccups treated with baclofen (5-25 mg three times daily). Baclofen treatment resulted in cessation of hiccups in 18 patients (49%) and marked improvement in hiccups in 10 patients (27%).
Lioresal 5mg thrice daily (after consulting you gastroenterologist),However dosage may be increased to 10mg to 25mg thrice daily by your Gastro as per your response to the medicine.
Other medicines are tried only when Baclofen is ineffective!
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- 9 year old with chronic hiccups
- What is the remedy for continuous hiccups
- Newborn hiccups remedy
- Drugs/medication for chronic hiccups
- Diagnosis of chronic hiccups
- Hiccups causes and remedies
- Symptoms of chronic hiccups
- Chronic hiccups causes
- Treatment and cure for chronic hiccups
- What type of doctor will treat chronic hiccups
- Suggest treatment for dizziness, fatigue and nausea when diagnosed with...
- What causes constant abdominal bloating after gallbladder surgery?
- Suggest remedies for chronic hiccups
- Suggest treatment for severe cramps and abdominal pain
- What does my HIDA report result indicate?
- Suggest treatment for diarrhea, low grade fever and abdominal pain
- Suggest treatment for symptoms of GERD
- Suggest treatment for severe acid reflux despite taking Nexium
- Does Tylenol Cold cause diarrhea when taken for cold and flu?
- Suggest treatment for multiple anal abscesses