Suggest remedies for chest pain while on Diazepam

Dr. Ilir Sharka

Cardiologist

Posted on Tue, 17 Apr 2018 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: Hi doctor,

I have small pain in around my chest and in my arms sometimes. This is scaring me... I went to the hospital few weeks ago for another reason (i felt like i was gonna faint) and they madr an ECG. The results were good.

They gave me some diazepam for 1 week but i did not take it.

if i was at risk to make a heart attack. would that ECG prevent it ?

should i worry ?

Thank you

i am 33 years old, i smoke and i work a lot..
Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 59 minutes later
Brief Answer:
I would explain as follows:

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Welcome and thank you for asking on HCM!

Regarding your concern, I would like to explain that in case of a heart attack, the resting ECG is the first test to rely upon for raising enough suspicion on its presence.

So, if you had a heart attack, your ECG could reflect it in some way.

Nevertheless, its sensibility is not 100%. So, there are some cases of heart attack that can be missed.

But, you should also know that a real heart attack is characterized by very strong chest pain and other associated symptoms and not by small pain like yours.

So, a heart attack would be quite unlikely considering your clinical symptomatology and your young age as well.

As you have risk factors like smoking, you have to be careful and for being completely relaxed, I would recommend you to perform a cardiac ultrasound and an exercise cardiac stress test, coupled with cardiac enzymes (CK-MB and Troponin).

If the above tests result normal, a cardiac cause would be excluded for sure and you would definitely put your mind to peace.

Hope you will find this answer helpful!

If you have any other questions, please don't hesitate to ask me again!

Kind regards,

Dr. Iliri
Follow up: Dr. Ilir Sharka 6 minutes later
so in short. i am thinking too much bit if i really cant get this out of my head, then i should make a few more tests to make sure.

right ?
Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 8 minutes later
Brief Answer:
They could increase diagnostic accuracy.

Detailed Answer:
Hello again!

You are right!

Those additional tests would help you being more clear about your complaints as they increase the sensitivity and diagnostic accuracy of just a single ECG.

Wishing you are having a pleasant weekend!

Dr. Iliri
Follow up: Dr. Ilir Sharka 43 minutes later
Last but not least. Sometimes my heart race at 86bpm when sometimes it can beat at 56 bpm or 74bpm. is it normal ? even on a short period of time ?
Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
My opinion as follows:

Detailed Answer:
Hello again!

These heart rate values are within the normal ranges.

The fluctuations in heart rate are quite normal during physical activity or emotional stress. They are related to a normal physiological reaction, by the activation of the sympathetic or parasympathetic nervous system, depending on your physical or emotional activity.

There is nothing to worry about!

Hope you will find this answer helpful!

Wishing good health,

Dr. Iliri