Suggest remedies for chest pain caused by acid reflux

Dr. Albana Sejdini

Posted on Tue, 7 Jun 2016 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: I feel like my heart keeps skipping a beat a couple times an hour for the last week or so and it scares me. I take a prilosec everyday for the last 2 years for acid reflux. For the last few weeks it has been bad, feels like the food is up to my throat most of the day. Alot of gas also.

I got really bad chest pain on Sunday and went to the emergency room and they did 2 ekg and some kind of a protein test for the heart(2 blood test 4 hours apart) also a chest CT or x-ray, I not sure which. They said everything is normal and just to take malox. I am taking it and the prilosec and no relief. I have drink alcohol for a couple of weeks and little coffee in the morning.

What do think I can do to get some relief and do gas or acid cause your heart to miss a beat?
Answered by Dr. Albana Sejdini 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Holter monitoring advised to run to exclude irregular heart beat

Detailed Answer:

I have gone through your medical history carefully and understood your concern.

Acid reflux is causing the feeling of increased heart rate due to same innervation. Sometimes, increased heart rate is associated with skipping heart beat.

However, if I was your caring doctor would advise to rule out irregular heart rhythm through Holder monitoring.

Increased GI gas is causing elevation of diafragm, which is also putting pressure on the heart resulting in skipping heart beat.

I advise to:
- take simethicone for bloating
- eat often, small portion and chew up slowly
- take probiotics to stabilize intestinal flora
- avoid foods that would increase gas like carbonated, beans, sprouts, cauliflower, etc.
-do not use pipes when drinking
- try to limit alcohol and coffee intake as they will aggravate reflux

Hope it helps.
All the best.
Dr.Albana