• question-icon

Suggest remedies for chest congestion and shortness of breath

Posted on Wed, 1 Jun 2016 in General Health
Question: Trouble breathing...congestion builds up in lungs. Taking over counter Mucinex History of mild asma. Take Levoccetirizine, Montelukast, Proair as needed and Symbicort
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 25 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Considerations

Detailed Answer:
hello and thank you for sending the question.

I'm sorry to hear that you're dealing with congestion and shortness of breath. It sounds like you're dealing with a situation of asthmatic bronchitis.this can cause a significant amount of chest congestion as well as shortness of breath with mild to moderate exertion.

Since you have been using essentially a maximum of over-the-counter medication it might be necessary to consider discussion of a prescription.in this type of situation sometimes a combination of prednisone and an antibiotic might serve to be extremely beneficial in order to decrease inflammation in the lungs and eliminate a possible underlying infection.

since her symptoms seem to be persistent I would recommend that you discussed this with your primary care physician or local healthcare provider.I think you would benefit from a good physical examination and possibly prescription which might include the prednisone and antibiotic as I mentioned above.

Thank you again for sending the question and I hope you feel better soon.

Sincerely,

Dr. Galamaga
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Dr. Robert Galamaga

Oncologist