Suggest remedies for burning sensation on the tongue

Posted on Tue, 2 Aug 2016 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: my daughter gets this on her tongue once in a while, she says it burns and it bothers her when she eats.
what is it?
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 57 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Geographic tongue (glossitis).

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for your query.

1. The appearance of the tongue in the image is most likely to be Geographic tongue (benign migratory glossitis) which is very common and requires no active treatment.

2. The cause is not known hence treatment is directed towards the burning sensation. Local anesthetic oral gels, anti-reflux medications and multivitamins should suffice. Stress may be a factor. Most of the times, this disappears on its own.

3. A direct examination by a local specialist will help. The other rare conditions to be ruled out are oral fungal infections, auto-immune disorders and allergies. In such cases, anti-fungal gels, steroids and anti-allergy medications are given.

4. Kindly let me know the progress here or directly at bit.ly/Dr-Sumit-Bhatti

I hope that I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be available to answer them.

Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Priyanka G Raj
Dr. Sumit Bhatti

ENT Specialist