Suggest remedies for burning sensation in testicles after using hair removal cream

Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney

Dermatologist

Posted on Wed, 8 Jun 2016 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: Used hair removal cream on testicles. Skin got burned. Burning has subsided now, but when I touch that part or apply water, it is burning like hell....as if hundreds of needles are pricking. This happened today morning. Have applied moisturizer and nothing else till now. What should I do for faster healing?
Answered by Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney 16 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Use steroid cream and moisturiser on the affected areas

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Thanks for being at healthcaremagic
I have reviewed the attached photograph and you have developed irritant contact dermatitis to the hair removal cream.
If I was your treating doctor I would recommend you to apply steroid cream like Clobetasol propionate cream or betamethasone cream on the affected area twice daily for 5-7 days.
This will resolve the reaction in few days.
Steroidal creams are prescription drugs and you need to see the doctor in person to get them.
Besides this continue using moisturiser on the affected areas 2-3 times in a day.
Dr Asmeet
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Naveen Kumar
Follow up: Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney 10 hours later
1. Is steriod cream an extreme measure?
2. I hope it will not aggravate the chemical burn.
3. Thia is a chemical burn, right?
4. How can I apply both - the cream and moisturiser - at the same time? I am not sure here.
Answered by Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney 34 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Steroids won't aggravate it

Detailed Answer:
Steroid creams are anti inflammatory medicines and will reduce the burn. They won't aggravate it.
Yes it is a chemical burn.
You can go for mild steroids like cortisone cream twice daily.
First apply the cream on the affected area followed by application of moisturiser on the entire scrotum after 10 minutes.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Sonia Raina
Follow up: Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney 36 minutes later
Thank you Doc. As an update, just took a bath. Surprisingly I was able to touch the patches, apply tap water and soap water (did not apply direct soap bar) and the intense burning sensation is not there. This is milesnaway from the hell that went through yesterday. Would I still be better off with the above recommendation? How long will it take to become absolutely clean and heal?

Now, that this fear is there in my mind: for future, will I be able to continue shaving (like in past) the affected area post healing?

Will the hair growth be normal in that area?

Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney 22 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Welcome!! All the best!!

Detailed Answer:
You can simply use cortisone cream on the affected area.
It will take 5-7 days to resolve to normal looking skin.
Yes you can easily continue with shaving in the future.
Hair growth will also be normal in that area.
All the best.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney 9 hours later
Hi Doc. I am able to get Hydrocortisone BP. See attached image. Is this the one that were you referring to?

Hi Doc, if this is not the one, please suggest 2/3 alternatives so that the pharmacist can help out. Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Yes this is the hydrocortisone cream

Detailed Answer:
Yes this is the hydrocortisone cream you should use.