Suggest remedies for bone health

Dr. Ashwin Bhandari

Posted on Thu, 7 Aug 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: please suggest remedies for bone and muscle health.
Answered by Dr. Ashwin Bhandari 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Detailed answer below

Detailed Answer:

The best remedy for bone health would be diet rich in calcium and for muscles would be diet rich in proteins. These would be:
1. Milk and milk products like cheese, yogurt

2. Sardines and beans

3. Dark leafy greens like spinach, XXXXXXX turnips, and collard greens

4. Fortified cereals such as Total, Raisin XXXXXXX Corn Flakes (They have a lot of calcium in one serving.)

5. Fortified orange juice and soymilk(please check the label as not all are good source of calcium)

6. Soybeans, peanuts, almonds, water melon seeds

7. Enriched breads, grains, and waffles

8. Eggs, fish, chicken breast(if non vegetarian)

Along with good diet, follow physical exercises and as you are in your 40's you might require calcium supplements in form of tablets. This can only be considered after getting your serum calcium and bone mineral density test done.

Hope this answers your query. If any further questions, will be happy to help.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj