Suggest remedies for blocked ears

Posted on Tue, 31 Oct 2017 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: 8 weeks ago I had turbinate bones removed from my nose, they had been blocking my ears before I had the operation. My doctor says could be 6 months before the ear tubes open up completly again. Since having the operation there's been no improvement on a regular basis , some days ears are a bit more tolerable other days it's so bad , this is the pattern , are my ears ever going to get any better just seems it's going to be like this all the time forever , it's so frustrating.
Answered by Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal 17 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Eustachian tube blockage

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Welcome to Healthcare Magic and thanks for putting up the query
Post turbinoplasty there is debris in the nose and even nasal mucosa takes sometime to Healthcare and constrict. Only than the eustachian tube blockage is relieved which may take 2 to 3 months.
You should do nasal douching with saline and take nasal drops.
Take steam inhalation and chew a gum that will help to decongest the tube and relieve the symptoms.
Any further questions are always welcome
Thanks and regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Follow up: Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal 2 hours later
Thanks for your reply, I'm using sea spray for my nose and at times quite sizeable pieces lumps come out nose , just wondering when will it will start to feel better again
Answered by Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
Eustachian tube blockage

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Thanks for the information.
The big lumps are most likely dried nasal discharge.
You should continue with the nasal spray and wait for another 2 to 3 weeks. you will be better soon.
Any further questions are always welcome.
Wishing you a speedy recovery.
Thanks and regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal 40 hours later
Would the dried up nasal discharge lumps also be blocking the tubes? What else should I do or try to help stop nose from blocking up with the pieces ?
Answered by Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal 24 hours later
Brief Answer:
Eustachian tube blockage

Detailed Answer:
Hi
The nasal secretions doesn't block the tubes but the decrease nasal breathing, there is decrease in aeration of tubes causing symptoms.
The easiest way to avoid nasal secretions from collecting is to do frequent nasal douching and using nasal spray.
Thanks and regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal

ENT Specialist