question-icon

Suggest remedies for bipolar disorder with panic attacks and major depression

Posted on Wed, 25 May 2016
Question: I have panic attacks ,and Major depression, with by polar 1 what are my best meds
Answered by Dr. Ashok Kumar (5 hours later)
Brief Answer:
There are multiple options

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for using Healthcaremagic.

Panic attacks depression and bipolar 1 disorder can be a part of single disorder or two distict disorder namaely panic disorder and bipolar disorder (depression + mania). The treatment of bipolar disorder relies ion mood stabilizers which include almost all atypical antipsychotics and lithuim, sodium valproate and carbamezepine. The requirement for each patient differs as everyone of us have different biological pattern and tendency to respond to particular medication.

Although literature suggests that LIthium is one of the most effective medication for treatment of bipolar disorder in XXXXXXX phase.

When the opposite pole of bipolar disorder strikes the available treatment options are combination of olanzapine and Fluoxetine, Quetiapine and lurasidone are treatment options.

For panic attacks we need SSRI group of medications for long run while in short run a help of benzodiazepines is required.

If you are currently have panic attacks and depression I feel the combination of olanzapine and Fluoxetine will be best choice along with benzodiazepines for a short duration.

I hope this helps you.
If you have more questions feel free to write back to me.
Thanks and regards.
Dr. Ashok Kumar

Psychiatrist