• question-icon

Suggest remedies for anxiety

Posted on Mon, 30 May 2016 in Mental Health
Question: Hello, I was wondering whether you would be able to help me. I have been suffering for a number of years with health anxiety and have wasted an awful lot of time researching health conditions on the internet and I can't seem to break the cycle. I was recently stupidly caught out on an overcast weekend away and had a consecutive sunburn which stung slightly for several weeks on my face/chest which has set it off again. Now I just feel constantly anxious and the only way I can seem to control is by exercising but obviously it is not practical to do that every day. I have tried some anti depressants in the past but they have spaced me out so much that it has effected my work performance.
Answered by Dr. Alexander H. Sheppe 36 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Consultation

Detailed Answer:
Hello, and thanks for your question.

I'm sorry you're going through so much right now. I think I can help. Here are my thoughts.

Trying a different antidepressant would be one approach -- escitalopram or venlafaxine are a couple you haven't tried that come to mind. Often trying a different antidepressant means you will not have the same adverse effects as others, so it could be worth a shot.

Another option is cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT). This is highly, highly effective for anxiety. It targets automatic negative or body-focused thoughts and redirects them into something more useful and positive. If you don't have a CBT therapist in your area, I do offer text-based CBT on this website via my direct private link:

tinyurl.com/DrSheppeAnswers

OR

https://doctor.healthcaremagic.com/Funnel?page=askDoctorDirectly&docId=70684

Please remember to rate and close this answer thread when you are finished and satisfied.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Follow up: Dr. Alexander H. Sheppe 2 days later
Many thanks for your help! Regarding the anti depressants, are there certain varieties that wouldn't have the spacing out effect or is it more a case of trial and error until you find one that has the right properties? How long would you recommend they are taken until you make the decision as to whether it is right one?

Answered by Dr. Alexander H. Sheppe 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Followup

Detailed Answer:
You are most welcome!

In my experience, the antidepressant classes LEAST likely to cause this effect are the SSRIs and SNRIs. Of the SSRIs, I would first try either escitalopram or fluoxetine. If you want to go with an SNRI, I would first try venlafaxine. These are all similar and very well tolerated in terms of side effects. Unfortunately with antidepressants, it is a bit of trial-and-error game. I usually wait at least two weeks when starting an antidepressant, because most side effects will go away by then. If you are still having side effects after two weeks, I would consider switching. It make take one try or it may take many tries, but eventually you will find one that works for you.

I hope you found this helpful. Please remember to rate and close this answer thread when you are finished and satisfied.

Dr. Alexander H. Sheppe

Psychiatrist