Suggest remedies for anxiety in a teenager

Dr. Naveen Kumar Sharma

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement

Posted on Sat, 3 Sep 2016 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: My 17 year old son had what I would call a panic attack worry over a sore back due to weigh lifting and ongoing sore wrist which I'm sure is also from weight lifting. I have had him at an Orthopedic doctor for his wrist approximately 8 months ago and probable cause aggravated tendons. For his back I started with a chiropractor but have had no real success. Family doctor has ran blood work check for inflamitory ( sorry for the spelling ) disease including Lyme disease but everything came back good all levels well below normal. His symptoms seem to have all started since the panic attack. He also complains that he is stiff all over and of his joints cracking/ popping all the time. Family doctor has recommended him to be evaluated for anxiety as I mentioned he has some similar characteristics with his mother who has mild anxiety.
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar Sharma 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
I think he needs psychiatric counselling

Detailed Answer:
I have studied your case and I think it is more of anxiety then a structural problem in back or wrist. It is common is sportsmen. I would suggest you following.
1.take him to psychiatric counselling. It will decrease his anxiety. Tablet Xanax can be given for a month.
2.back and wrist muscle physiotherapy is helpful for this. It should be done regularly.
3.tablet Myoril or Myopsaz is good for sore bed. Also helpful is hot water fomentation and Volitran gel.
4.if possible avoid weight lifting as it is not suitable sport for patient with painful back.
I hope this answer will be useful for you.Let me know if there is any other followup questions.
Thanks
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Veerisetty Shyamkumar