Suggest remedies for anxiety in a hypertensive person

Dr. Anshul Varshney

Posted on Tue, 17 Apr 2018 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: My blood pressure is usually good but at times I get stressed and it will rise.. Sometimes up to 160/95.. When my stress leaves my blood pressure will go down but in the work environment it can go up and down during the course of the day but when I am at home it returns back to normal range.. Is this hard on my arteries? All this variation.. I go to the doctor office and my blood pressure will go way up! After 10 minutes in the office they will take it again and it will drop to near normal range..when I try taking meds my blood pressure will get too low..recently my hs Crp was high..I exercise and eat well but I do have some anxiety..what should I do? The doc gave me blood pressure pills to use as needed is that safe?
Answered by Dr. Anshul Varshney 14 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Propanolol

Detailed Answer:
Welcome to Healthcaremagic.
Hi, I am Dr Anshul Varshney , I have read your query in detail , I understand your concern.
With your history this is certain that your BP rises during the time of stress.
In such cases, the best medicine to start is Propanolol. It helps with anxiety along with mild to moderate control of hypertension.

I would recommend you to discuss with your doctor about taking this medicine and take a trial of 1 month.

Start meditation along with exercises and take low salt and low fat diet.
In case you have not got your thyroid and blood sugars checked, get them tested too.
I am very hopeful that you will get relief with Propanolol.

This is my personal opinion based on details available here. If you still have any other query, you may please ask me.
Stay Healthy.
Dr Anshul Varshney , MD

Follow up: Dr. Anshul Varshney 26 minutes later
Can I just take it as needed or do I need it all the time? I have some attentuated blood vessels in my eyes do you know anything about that? It is just mild..so if it does not work for me can I go off of it after a month? I would rather not take meds but I am afraid of ruining my health because of my blood pressure variations.. Does it damage the veins.. Cause inflammation?
Answered by Dr. Anshul Varshney 7 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Regular

Detailed Answer:
I suppose you should take medicine regularly under guidance of your Physician.
Attenuated blood vessels could be a XXXXXXX of Early Hypertension and this needs a strict control of BP.
Good Luck.
Follow up: Dr. Anshul Varshney 15 minutes later
Do you see this finding very often? Could the thinning of the blood vessels be caused by a longer eye? That is what my doc said..
Answered by Dr. Anshul Varshney 8 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Yes we do see

Detailed Answer:
Yes, we do see this often in hypertensive and diabetic patients. Longer eye as a cause , i can't comment. You need an Ophthalmologist opinion for this purpose.