Suggest remedies for allergic reaction to Lamotrigine

Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney

Dermatologist

Posted on Mon, 29 Aug 2016 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: Severe reaction to Lamortigine (25mg/day for 2 weeks). Rash ithching, burning. Woke up with swollen (badly) face. Took benadryl 50mg. What to do?
Answered by Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Take short course of oral steroids & antihistaminic, apply topical steroid

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Thanks for being at healthcaremagic
I am Dr Asmeet Kaur Sawhney, a dermatologist.
I have reviewed the attached photographs and can appreciate the reaction.
You should stop lamotrigine.
If I was your treating doctor I would recommend you to take a short course of oral steroids like tablet prednisolone 20 mg in the morning after breakfast along with antihistaminic like tablet Cetrizine 10 mg twice daily for 5-7 days.
Along with this I would recommend you to apply topical steroids like mometasone cream on the affected areas twice daily for a week.
These medicines are prescription drugs and you need to see the doctor in person to get them.
Dr Asmeet
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney 15 minutes later
Okay thank you
On my way to doctor
Answered by Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney 21 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Welcome!!

Detailed Answer:
Welcome!!
All the best!!