Suggest remedies for acid reflux

Posted on Tue, 5 Jul 2016 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: My dr. Has stopped my my pip medicine. I have been taking this medicine for several years. My question is how to stop taking it and not get the acid reflux?
Answered by Dr. Albana Sejdini 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Changes in diet and lifestyle regimen;ranitidine at bedtime...

Detailed Answer:

I understand your concern.

PIP medication can stop by reducing the dose. It depends on what dose you are taking it actually to reduce it gradually until fully stop.

Acid reflux symptoms can be minimized by implementing changes in your diet and lifestyle regimen:
- eat often and small portions
- chew up slowly
- avoid foods that would cause hyperacidity of the stomach like oily/processed/chilly, etc.
- do not lay down immediately after eating
- if you get burning feeling, take antacids especially after eating.
- until fully recovered, if you stop PIP, can take ranitidine at bedtime for a few more weeks.

Hope it was of help.
Dr.Albana
Follow up: Dr. Albana Sejdini 33 minutes later
Is pepsin the same as ranitidine?
Answered by Dr. Albana Sejdini 12 minutes later
Brief Answer:
No,pepsin is not the same as ranitidine;explained below...

Detailed Answer:
Hi back,

No, pepsin and ranitidine are 2 different meds:
- pepsin is the main enzyme of the digestive tract. It is normally produced in the stomach in order to break down the proteins. It is used to treat indigestion problems.
- ranitidine is a drug of H2-antagonist group. It is used to reduce the production of stomach acid, thus, relieving the symptoms of hyperacidity (as in case of acid reflux).

Hope it answered to your questions.
Dr.Albana
Dr. Albana Sejdini