• question-icon

Suggest remedies for accidental overdose of Mucinex

Posted on Fri, 21 Jul 2017 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: About 30 minutes ago, I accidentally took a double dose of Mucinex 1200 mg guaifenesin extended-release bi-layer tablets.
What should I do and or expect? (It had been 13 hours since last regular dose.)
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 24 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Considerations.

Detailed Answer:
hello and thank you for sending the question.

Most likely there will be no significant negative side effects from taking a double dose of this particular medication.

I would recommend that you stay well hydrated, drinking plenty of fluids for the next 24 hours.

You might experience some fatigue or mild sedation. otherwise I would not anticipate any serious side effects for you.

within 24 hours the full affect of taking this medication should be out of your system. If you need to resume taking this for cough suppressant you can do so in 24 hours.

If you experience any strange symptoms such as nausea, vomiting, blurred vision, palpitations or shortness of breath please contact your primary care doctor or go to your local emergency room for evaluation.

thank you again for sending the question.

Sincerely,

Dr. Galamaga
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Dr. Robert Galamaga

Oncologist