Suggest remedies for abdominal bloating after taking Atenolol

Dr. Ivo Ditah

Posted on Sat, 11 Mar 2017 in General Health
Question: I have been taking Losartan for managing my blood pressure for the last several years. My blood pressure has been averaging 135/94 lately. Under my doctor's advice she put me on Atenolol 50mg in place of the Losarton starting 3 days ago. Now I feel extremely bloated in my belly and chest area and my blood pressure has risen to 155/102 while my pulse has dropped from averaging 85 to now 65. I left a message with my doctor and they did not return my call and are now closed. What should I do? Thanks.
Answered by Dr. Ivo Ditah 28 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Why was it switched?

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thanks for contacting us.

I have reviewed your information fully and there are a couple of things i must touch on.

1. Why did your doctor switch your drugs? I believe there might have been a reason for this. Let me know what transpired, please.

2. NO, you should not stop Atenolol before you talk to your doctor. Having a drop in pulse rate is totally expected and 65 is well within normal targets. Feeling a bit bloated is okay when atenolol is newly started. Fortunately, this disappears as you continue with drugs.

3. The increase pressure is related to your worried mindset and probably not because the drug is not working well. Calm down a little and follow through to make sure that we do not hurriedly make a bad call that atenolol isn't working good for you.

In all, continue the drug, have a calm mind and let me know why it was changed. I believe all will soon be normal.

I hope this addresses your query fully. I wish you well and always available for further exchanges is need be.

Kind regards!
Answered by Dr. Ivo Ditah 13 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Let's see how you do on atenolol first before switching!

Detailed Answer:

I will suggest that we maintain you on this drug and evaluate after a minimum of 1week. Any hasty decisions will be faulty and may cause us to miss on something good for you. Be calm relax, positive and optimistic.

I wish you well. Keep me posted.
Follow up: Dr. Ivo Ditah 0 minute later
Thank you for your calming response! The doctor had me switch from Losartan as it appeared to not be working sufficiently. I logged my blood pressure for 3 weeks, 2-3 times a day. My blood pressure averaged 135/95. She has been helping me with chronic migraine pain and wanted to get my blood pressure consistently at 120/70. She determined that Losartan was not getting the job done. So she switched me to Atenolol as the first step in our goal to get my pressure down.
Answered by Dr. Ivo Ditah 27 minutes later
Brief Answer:
I wish you well!

Detailed Answer:

I wish you well and happy you talked to us. I wish you well and look forward hearing from you!.

Kind regards.
Follow up: Dr. Ivo Ditah 14 hours later
It is the 5th day that I have stopped taking Losartan and replaced it with Atenolo. My blood pressure this morning was 146/102 and I have gained 5 lbs in 5 days. My eyes are all puffy and my belly is protruding. Can I realistically expect this to reverse?
Answered by Dr. Ivo Ditah 19 hours later
Brief Answer:
I will suggest that you report this back to teh doctor!

Detailed Answer:

I have reviewed this information fully. The diastolic blood pressure of 102 is way above the expected value of 90. I will suggest that you report this value to your doctor. It might call his attention to switch medications prematurely. This is even more likely because you were pretty better with losartan.

Let me know what he next decision. Besides, he may want to combine and give you both drugs.

I wish you well.
Follow up: Dr. Ivo Ditah 4 hours later
Our pharmacist recommended we stop the Atenolo because the blood pressure was rising and bloating has occurred. She recommended going back on the Losarton and Clonidine. She also had me take an over the counter diuretic to shed some of this retained water. My blood pressure was slightly down to 140/102 this morning. I had my daily Losartan this morning and now took a Clonadine. I hope this gets me under 90!!! Thanks.
Answered by Dr. Ivo Ditah 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Let's monitor and see where we stand!

Detailed Answer:

The best way would be to monitor the medications over a couple of days and make a decision. For now, it is early to make any meaningful evaluation./

I suggest you update me in 48hours on how your readings are doing.

I wish you well and look forward hearing from you!