Suggest remedies for a wound infection post an accident

Dr. Klarida Papaqako

Posted on Tue, 17 Apr 2018 in General Health
Question: I work for an Asian family in PA. Their daughter, 33, was in an accident in Myanmar , last Saturday. She has finally arrived in US and will arrive home tomorrow.
She was in an accident, falling off a scooter. Her face met the road. Wish I could show you her selfie. All teeth are broken, stitches on the nose all the way up to mid-eyebrow. She says she can't move her mouth to chew.
I need to explain to the family that she needs to go immediately to Trauma Center ER. Please explain the danger to me of having all this time pass.
Answered by Dr. Klarida Papaqako 54 minutes later
Brief Answer:
She needs to remove stitches, to check for wound infection,to see a dentist

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for using Healthcaremagic to post your health query.
I read carefully your question and I understand your concern.

Yes, it is true that without a photo I will not be able to say much.
Since the accident has been almost 1 week ago, we can say for sure that she didn't suffer a brain injury and didn't had a concussion.
The risks she may have is from a possible infection of a wound, and then when the stitches will be removed (1 week after their removal) the doctor will be able to understand how cosmetic was the suturing and if anything else can be done so she won't suffer big scars. She needs to see a plastic surgeon for that.

Let me know if she has any specific symptom from the wound- secretions, swelling getting worse and not better, ect.
It needs some time for the swelling to go away, and for her to be able to move all the muscles like before. She may also need physical therapy for this, to rehabilitate all the muscles of the face, but this needs to be done when the wound is healed and the stitches are removed.

Of course she needs to see a dentist who can advice teeth reconstruction according to their situation. The earliest she sees a dentist, the more they will be able to help her.

Hope this is helpful.
Let me know if you need more clarifications.

Dr. Papaqako

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj