Suggest remedies for a swollen bruise under the left knee

Dr. Albana Sejdini

Posted on Wed, 8 Jun 2016 in General Health
Question: Hi , trying to figure if I need tyo take this knee to the ER , ,the bursa under left knee , swollen size of ping pong ball , and is firm , that is larger than a couple days when it was loosely filled with fluid. I have been off it and taking 800 mg of Ibuprofin three times a day for about 24 hours now , and 20 minutes ice applied at the same time. , I am a runner but havent been in training for months , bad foot , just went my knee doc a month ago and knee xrays were all fine , this knee was orthoscopy in 2014 and 2007 , both times it was a minor tear
Answered by Dr. Albana Sejdini 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Can send a picture, should go to ER with what you say

Detailed Answer:
Hi ,

I understand your concern.
1. A photo of the knee is kindly requested to evaluate the changes myself.

2. If the knee is still swollen although the necessary measures you took, then should go to ER. Arthroscopy and xray of the knee are necessary to evaluate the inner changes and decide for best treatment.

For the moment, advise to continue with rest, applying ice, take ibuprofen and elevating your legs until you go to ER or see orthopedist.

Wish fast recovery.
Dr.Albana