Suggest remedies for a lower back pain radiating to the right leg

Dr. Aashish Raghu

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Wed, 30 May 2018 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: I have had lower back pain with shooting pains down my right leg. I have been doing stretches, taking aleve,
muscle relaxers, and walking for about 15 minutes a day. I have a sedentary job. I try to get up and walk during the day. So far, I still have the pain. I am able to sleep at night, but the right leg hurts when I get up in the morning. I have ha 2 decatron shots. This has been going on for about 6 weeks. I also use ice and heat.
Should I continue with my exercises and walking? Can sciatica last for several months? xxxxxxxxxx
Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 10 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Needs an Xray and MRI

Detailed Answer:
Hi there

Thanks for the query

I have read your query and understood your problem.

In your best interest it would be advisable to get an MRI scan of the lumbosacral spine and an Xray of the same region as well.

This will help to find out why you aren't getting relief. Common causes can be slip disc, slipping forward of the backbone on another etc.

I hope I have answered your query.

I will be available to answer your follow up queries.

Dr.Aashish Raghu
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad