• question-icon

Suggest remedies for a lesion on the nose

Posted on Mon, 17 Jul 2017 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: I have only one lesion on the tip of my nose. It was recommended that I use flouruoracil on my entire face. That seems like overkill. If I develop lesions later on couldn/t I simply use the medication then rather than doing it before there is a problem
Answered by Dr. Ornela Ademovi 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
No reason to apply it to entire face

Detailed Answer:

I understand your concern. Fluorouracil is usually only applied to the affected area, so I do not see any reason why your doctor told you to apply it to entire face, especially since sensitive areas like lips, around the mouth and eyes are to be avoided. Unless your doctor noted lesions on other parts of the face, I'd say stick to applying the cream twice per day to the affected area, i.e the tip of the nose.
Please make sure you wash and dry your face prior to applying the cream, use a cotton swab or gloves, or if you use your bare hands, you need to wasn't them right after. Only use fuorouracil for exactly the amount of time the doctor recommended, not less, not longer.
Be aware that after using fluorouracil you will notice redness and probably soreness, but that is normal.
I hope this answers your question. If you have further questions I'd be happy to answer.
Wishing you good health and all the best.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Dr. Ornela Ademovi