question-icon

Suggest remedies for a dark scar on the lips

Posted on Thu, 5 May 2016
Question: Hi,
I had got hurt in 2007 at the depression just below my lower lip . I had applied undiluted dettol there and left the cotton too long which resultrd in burnt skin. The scar is still there although its just a small circle-ish dark area on the depression. I wanted to know the ways to remove the scar permanently, since I'm gettign married in July this year. Also please tell me whether laser surgery can help in this case.
Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha (6 hours later)
Brief Answer:
Hard to remove without plastic surgery or laser surgery.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthCareMagic.

When there is a laceration, the area heals by deposition of scar tissue which is basically fibrous tissue and not the same tissue that originally formed the area. Hence a 'scar' is left.

Since the fibrous tissue remains, the scar does not resolve without laser therapy or plastic surgery which are the two options that you have and could help.

You may try applying Mederma Advanced Cream and see if it makes a difference. Discuss with your doctor before using.

If the area is not raw it is no use applyig Soframycin.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha