• question-icon

    Suggest remedies for a bruise on chin post an injury

Posted on Tue, 24 May 2016 in General Health
Question: While playing with my kid, my kids hand hit my chin (below the under eye). There is no injury to the eye or no bleeding or any injury, but a small area in the chin has become black ( no swelling now). Little bit of pain is there. I have to attend a function in 2 days. What can I apply on my face for the black area to look normal? Any medicine or ointment?
Answered by Dr. Shuba Hariprasad 22 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Bruise, ice packs.

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXXX,

Thank you for your Query.

It seems that may have a bruise. This is a blood clot that occurs just under the skin in response to blunt injury.
Immediate application of Ice packs will help reduce the inflammation and the level of bruising.
Once the bruise has settled , massages, hot compresses will help in faster resolution by improving blood flow to the area. Thrombolytic ointments (which dissolve clots ) are available but I personally wouldn't recommend using them on your face (as the skin there is very sensitive and when exposed to sun, the ointment may cause certain allergic reactions).

I understand that you have to attend a function and would want this to be as invisible as possible. I recommend regular gentle massage (in circular motions) and hot compresses (not too hot- apply it to you inner forearm to check if the temperature is fine) 3- 4 times a day to enhance bruise resolution.
It changes color during resolution going from black to purplish to green to yellow and reaching your skin tone in a week to 10 days.

A good foundation with a little makeup will help to cover it up.

Hope this helps and you make it to the function.
Please contact us if you have further queries.
wish you good health
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Deepak
Answered by
Dr. Shuba Hariprasad

General & Family Physician

Practicing since :2002

Answered : 1087 Questions


The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on

Recent questions on  Blunt injury

doctor1 MD

I fell off a ladder pretty high up and I went to the ER and when I got home I went to my family DR. but now I can put in a hard days work cause I...

doctor1 MD

Hello. During my 22 years in the military in 1978 I had a very heavy tent pole fall on my right shoulder. It fractured my right index finger (1st)...

doctor1 MD

I have pain in my upper right side of my abdomin. What could it be?

doctor1 MD

I am experiencing pain in my left side/back of my waist.The pain is still tolerable.I felt this pain after i bump my left waist in our kitchen...

doctor1 MD

Hi doctor, I had a colposcopy done last friday but had sex that tuesday same week and im tryinh to concieve i had very light spotting for 3 days...

doctor1 MD

hi there,
i took a single dose of 3500 mg of acetaminophen five or six days ago. since then, i started experiencing a pain on the right side of my...

doctor1 MD

Hi thanks. First off I had severe back pain that I was told fibromyalgia! Then upon MRI showed 3 discs.(l5,s1)9mm compress nerve by at least 25%....

Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties

188 Doctors Online

By proceeding, I accept the Terms and Conditions

HCM Blog Instant Access to Doctors
HCM Blog Questions Answered
HCM Blog Satisfaction
Questions Answered By Dr. Shuba Hariprasad
  • Q - What causes severe kidney pain with a history of kidney stones?

  • Q - What causes weakness, fatigue, burping, nausea and concentration problems?

  • Q - How do Probiotics help in treating acne?

  • Q - Suggest remedies for a bruise on chin post an injury

  • Q - Does prolonged intake of Nexium result in memory loss and alzheimers?

  • Q - What causes blurry vision, low BP, constant headache and chest pain?

  • Q - Suggest treatment for swelling through out body in a heart patient

  • Q - Does intake of Zincovit help in curing yawing, lethargy and memory issues?

  • Q - Suggest remedy for reddish scaly lesions on face

  • Q - What causes lower abdominal pain, frequent urination and bladder leakage?