• question-icon

Suggest remedies for a bruise on chin post an injury

Posted on Tue, 24 May 2016 in General Health
Question: While playing with my kid, my kids hand hit my chin (below the under eye). There is no injury to the eye or no bleeding or any injury, but a small area in the chin has become black ( no swelling now). Little bit of pain is there. I have to attend a function in 2 days. What can I apply on my face for the black area to look normal? Any medicine or ointment?
Answered by Dr. Shuba Hariprasad 22 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Bruise, ice packs.

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXXX,

Thank you for your Query.

It seems that may have a bruise. This is a blood clot that occurs just under the skin in response to blunt injury.
Immediate application of Ice packs will help reduce the inflammation and the level of bruising.
Once the bruise has settled , massages, hot compresses will help in faster resolution by improving blood flow to the area. Thrombolytic ointments (which dissolve clots ) are available but I personally wouldn't recommend using them on your face (as the skin there is very sensitive and when exposed to sun, the ointment may cause certain allergic reactions).

I understand that you have to attend a function and would want this to be as invisible as possible. I recommend regular gentle massage (in circular motions) and hot compresses (not too hot- apply it to you inner forearm to check if the temperature is fine) 3- 4 times a day to enhance bruise resolution.
It changes color during resolution going from black to purplish to green to yellow and reaching your skin tone in a week to 10 days.

A good foundation with a little makeup will help to cover it up.

Hope this helps and you make it to the function.
Please contact us if you have further queries.
wish you good health
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Deepak
Dr. Shuba Hariprasad