Suggest proper antidepressant and supportive therapy for mental trauma

Dr. Abhishek Kapoor

Psychiatrist

Posted on Mon, 12 May 2014 in Relationship
Question: I was raised in a perfect family to the outside world. Including family. Actually, my father started molesting me before I was 2, and it became progressive. He also had a terrible temper, was mentally and emotionally abusive and by the time I was 4 I knew my mother had no more say in the household than me or my little brother. Dad always said "he owned me." The sexual abuse ended before I was 8 and we moved to a new house. His behavior became worse. I attempted suicide. He dies of cancer young, my mom married another man who ran the show. This one was rich, and I was in college. My family was given a tough time. He appreciated the way my husband and I were raising our 2 kids and we developed a good relationship. He's been a wonderful grandfather to my children. My mother knew I went through therapy when my kids were young, and she joined me. She never admitted she knew, she denied that, but she knew too much. I refused to push the issue. I wanted to believe I had one good parent. I started having autoimmune problems as a pre-teen, but had my children and my husband and I with our son and daughter had a wonderful childhood together. We were all very close, and had our own interests. My son married his college sweetheart after graduating, and though it was very obvious they made a great team and loved each other, she came from a wealthy family and was disappointed we were not. But my mom and her husband are. She also dislikes animals because of the fur. I continued to develop autoimmune diseases, and am very sick. I require the use of a support dog. She doesn't like him. My son surprised our family by enlisting in the Navy. We were taken back, especially because they insisted it was the Navy so he wouldn't be in any danger. He went through bootcamp, earned a leadership position, my husband, daughter and I drove to see the graduation. His wife lived nearby. We brought her. We were very proud and supportive. But they began to back away and accused us of not being supportive. They blocked us on Facebook. Suddenly he would call upset and hang up before we could ask any questions. Then he blocked the phones. He and his wife became very close with my mother and her husband--a wwii vet. My mother doesn't understand I am extremely ill. She's always been tough on me, but I believe it's because she knew what my father did. My son was the only one in his class on 40 to graduate in a high level program, accepted into Officer Candidate School, and was given a commission in aviation. We were not included in any of this. No graduations, and with this move we no longer have a street address. We don't understand what happened. They have ignored everything in our lives, but have celebrated 2 events with the grandparents. My mother insists I need to give him time. I have not seen or talked with my son for over a year. My husband and I cry. I feel like I'm grieving. My daughter has seen how much my health has changed, and how my husband has aged, and she's mad and hurt. We've had many meetings with our rabbi who could not believe this was happening to us. He knows all parties involved very well. My mother and I are constantly fighting, and now she has the rest of the family calling him. I love this boy. I do not want to lose him. My husband and I do not want sorries or to rehash the past. I still believe that they are right for one another. I had to leave a job I loved a few years ago because I have become so sick. My immune system is now deleting flu shots, diphtheria, old and new protections. I am affected systemically. I have a handful of conditions that could take my life at any moment. If I don't first. I slit my wrists a month ago. My son knows of none of that. I cannot find their new address, and her parents and my parents won't give them to me. My daughter will probably be getting engaged this year. She and I are very close, she says, "well, at least my mother never had a favorite." I am broken inside. And my once sensitive son who chose the song "You're My Inspiration" to have a mother/son dance to at his wedding, appears to have lost all compassion and love. My father was a monster. My son has never heard details or been exposed to anyone like him. Is it possible it's DNA or dog fur-- they both sound crazy! XXXX before I read it, how much is it. I spent $1000 a month on pharmaceuticals! What is the price?
Answered by Dr. Abhishek Kapoor 7 hours later
Brief Answer: Need antidepressant and supportive therapy Detailed Answer: Hi Thanks for using healthcare magic. I, Dr Abhishek Kapoor, would help you in this query. I have full sympathy with you. I have seen number of cases of adults with history of childhood sexual abuse, but in your case, i got tragedy one after another. First due to father and then your son left you. No doubt, you are in serious mental trauma and need help. You need a proper treatment with antidepressant and supportive therapy. These are the two best way for you to come out of this traumatic situation. You did not mention the medications, you are on. Being a psychiatrist, i would suggest paroxetine to you. It is very effective antidepressant and help you to control these depressive or suicidal thoughts. For supportive therapy, you have to consult a psychologist and that therapist would also help you to revive the relationship between you and your son through family therapy, but these things usually take time. You have to be patient. In case, you need further help or have any more query, you can ask. Regards Dr. Abhishek Kapoor Psychiatrist