Suggest preliminary diagnostic tests to assess sexual health

Dr. Khushboo Priya

Infertility Specialist

Posted on Mon, 20 Mar 2017 in Infertility Problem
Question: hi doctor,
we are trying for conceive a baby for past 4-5 months.
I m aged 31 and my wife is aged 29.
we have normal private life
please prescribe us(for me and my wife) some prelim diagnostic tests, which can assess our sexual health.
Answered by Dr. Khushboo Priya 49 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You need some basic tests to evaluate the cause of not conceiving

Detailed Answer:
Hi, welcome to healthcaremagic. I think if your wife has normal periods and no other obvious problems, you can try naturally for 6 to 7 more months. The chance to conceive in a normal couple in one cycle is only 5 to 7 percent. So, you need to try atleast 1 year before undergoing any tests or treatment. Be in contact with your wife every 2 to 3 days after her periods stop. It will increase chances of getting pregnant. If it doesn't work, then you can go for evaluation. Do a thyroid profile and prolactin levels and a ultrasound for your wife's uterus and follicles in ovaries on 2nd or 3rd day of periods. Also a semen analysis of yours will be needed. Track your wife's follicles growth by repeated ultrasound. If ovulation is happening and other things are fine, you can try with some medicines for growth of her follicles. Hope I have answered your question.
Dr XXXXXXX
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng