Suggest precautions to be taken while trying to conceive

Dr. Rakhi Tayal

OBGYN

Posted on Tue, 6 Oct 2015 in Pregnancy
Question: Hi,

I am married for close to 3 years now. We have started to plan for a kid. Need your assistance in knowing more about how to start, what care do I need to take. Diet restrictions if any. What diet should my husband follow. Also about the fertile window.
We have been trying during my fertile window, for the last 2 months. but no results. Is there something we should worry about?
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 41 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Try during fertile period for 6-12 months.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for trusting us with your health concern.
Best days for conception are from day 11-18 of cycle counting the date of start of periods as day 1 of cycle in women with regular cycles.
It is recommended to have sex on alternate days during these days to have best results.
Lying down on your back a pillow beneath your buttocks is considered the best position.
Having sex at night just before sleeping is preferred because female tends to lie down for longer time without any activity and thus assisting in spermatogenesis ascent.
Checking daily body temperature is an easy method of confirmation of the fact that ovulation just happened but it gives no idea of the time when ovulation is about to occur so that one can have intercourse to match with ovulation.
Instead of temperature charting you can use ovulation prediction kits also called as LH kits which detect LH in urine and after that ovulation follows in 12-24 hours.
You both have to involve in unprotected sex without any contraceptive method around ovulation day or fertile days for at least 6-12 months before proceed to basic investigations of primary infertility. Right now there is no need to worry.
In preconception period, you both can take Vitamin-E and folic acid supplements for at least 3 months. Additionally, take healthy diet, control body weight by regular physical exercise, try to avoid mental stress/ emotional upset by regular meditation/ yoga, drink more water and eat fresh fruits, maintain genital hygiene and take sound sleep with complete relaxation.
Please feel free to discuss further. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Regards.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Rakhi-Tayal