question-icon

Suggest precautionary measures to be taken after percutaneous transluminal coronary angioplasty

Posted on Fri, 2 Jan 2015
Question: Hi Dr XXXXXXX Heijebu,Good Evening.Hope you are doing well.I had my PTCA today.Please tell me what precautions i should take from here on.XXXX.
Answered by Dr. Suresh Heijebu (19 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
Avoid undue physical stress.

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXX.

I understand your concern.

The following precautions have to be taken post PTCA.

1.Keep the catheterisation site safe and clean.

2.Check for any bleeds and if any,report to your concerned physician.

3.Avoid undue abdominal strain.Use western toilet only for the first 7 days after discharge.

4.Avoid taking stairs as of now.

5.Keep your blood pressure well below 130/80 mm of Hg.

6.Avoid straining at stools.

7.Consume plenty of fiber and fruits.

8.Regularly take all the prescribed medications without fail.

9.Avoid undue emotional trauma.

10.Always report to your doctor in case of any chest pain,however small,it is,in the first 1 week of discharge.

Thank you.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj
Dr. Suresh Heijebu