Suggest physical therapy for broken foot recovery after cast removal

Dr. Sudhir Kumar

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Thu, 24 Dec 2015 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: I fractured the fifth metatarsal bone in my left foot. I was in a plaster cast that couldn't bear weight for 11 days, and then a hard cast that I could put weight on for 3 weeks. Today my cast came off. I am in Hungary and relying on the Hungarian medical system. I was told that I need to do some physical therapy exercises, but the next appointment isn't until January 14th. My foot doesn't hurt at all when I walk. I can walk normally. However my ankle feels weak and my calf feels sore. Can you recommend any exercises I can do at home? Also the doctor would only tell me that I should put lotion on and I should submerge the my leg and foot in water. I asked if I should wear something like an ace bandage but the doctor said the physical therapist would tell me about that.
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 59 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You can do mobilisation excercises.

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Thanks for your query

I'm Dr Sudhir Kumar

I have gone through your query and understand your concern. You have got 5 th metatarsal fracture of left foot. You have been sufficiently in the cast. Now you have to do mobilisations excercises of ankle joint. You have to move ankle upwards (dorsiflexion) and downwards ( planter flexion) for at least 15 minutes in morning and 15 minutes in the evening. You have no restrictions of walking. Keep leg and foot elevated on pillow in the night. Avoiding foot hanging ( dependant) except during walking because it increases swelling. In my opinion you have should avoid applying lotion ,avoid submerge in water and avoid massage to foot and ankle because these increase swelling. Wearing crepe bandage during walking is helpful in avoid swelling. There is no use of crepe bandage during resting peiod and night. You can take analgesic such as ibuprofen for pain relief whenever you have pain. You can discuss with your doctor about it.

Hope your query get answered. If you have any clarification then I will be happy to help you.

Wishing you a good health.