Suggest pain medication or physiotherapy for left sided pain behind the neck
I have a neck sprain from past 3 weeks, I wrote a Question and got reply from Dr. XXXXXXX Tayal, below was his suggestion.
"It seems that you are suffering from cervical muscle sprain. Treatment includes
1. Use of cervical collar helps in immobilisation and brings relief.
2. Medical drugs like pain killers - acetaminophen/ibuprofen and muscle relaxants might be helpful. You can start with muscle relaxant like Tolagin 4 mg twice a day after meals.
3. Methylcobalamin supplements are also recommended for nerve compression symptoms like tingling or numbness.
4. Cervical isometric exercises are beneficial to maintain the strength of the neck muscles. Neck and upper back stretching exercises, as well as light aerobic activities, also are recommended under the guidance of a physical therapist.
5. Hot fomentation helps in relieving acute symptoms.
6. You can avoid using a pillow/ watching TV or working on computer.
Avoid prolonged sitting / leaning forward/ 2 wheeler driving for long distances."
I used Tolagin 4 mg for 5 days, I am also doing Isometric neck exercise, I am not using pillow for more than a week, now my muscle is relaxed but still I have some pain on my left side of back neck, Is there any other medicine to used to get relief from this pain? OR any Physiotherphy to be done?
As explained below.
For muscle sprain, the above said treatment is good. In case of severe pain, you can take tab. Dolo as and when required. Rest is most important. You will recover in 2 to 3 weeks. Physiotherapy is not required when you are doing isometric neck exercises.
I hope this answered your query.
General & Family Physician
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Suggest medication for back pain
- Experiencing neck pain suggest medication or exercise
- Suggest medication for nerve pain
- Suggest pain medication when on bp medications
- Suggest medication for muscle pain
- Suggest medication for fibromyalgia and neck pain
- Best medication for pain in neck
- Suggest medication for liver pain
- Drugs/medication for Neck pain
- Suggest medication for back and neck pain