Suggest pain medication for rheumatoid arthritis

Dr. Noble Zachariah

Posted on Tue, 7 Jun 2016 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: I am currently taking Norco for severe RA, COPD and leg pain caused by lower back surgeries, without adequate relief. What is my next step for relief.I am 70-yrs old.
Answered by Dr. Noble Zachariah 23 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Discussion follows

Detailed Answer:
Welcome and thanks for your query.
I understand your concern.
Since you are not finding relief with opioid, it is not advisable to step up the dose of the same.
It would be better to add a medicine that works through a different action. My suggestion would be to add Neurontin 300 mg at bed time. The dose may be increased depending on the response and need.
Another possibility is the addition of a tricycle antidepressant.