Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
139 Doctors are Online

Suggest over the counter medication to treat abdominal distension

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 1986
Answered : 1659 Questions
My family has a history of Upper GI distension, and highly allergic for which cholecystectomy has NOT helped. I have recently suffered from it. I am not taking probiotics as they produce allergic symptoms. Endoscopies have been negative. the symptoms have worsened after Hurricane XXXXXXX (as have many in the city of Houston), The air in the city is highly contaminated with a variety of allergens - mold, decaying housing and structures/wood/etc. much of which is still on the streets. I left town for a week for cold weather, and was much better, but since return the symptoms have also returned. I figure it is related to an allergic reaction with cholinergic symptoms. In the past my father (who is now deceased) used Donnagel - I know it is now a scheduled drug and no longer available , Gas X works to a certain extent, but temporary. IS there some over the counter or natural fix for this - that would provide symptomatic relief without a prescription? (I am a nurse with several additional credentials - with 30 yrs of experience. )
If you could recommend something I would be grateful.
Mon, 7 May 2018 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Sugestion incorporated.

Detailed Answer:
Hello dear,
Thanks for query.
Answer is-
Use tab omeprazole 40 mg twice daily(An over the counter medication) along with Tab Imodium(Loperamide) 2 mg twice daily,Doses can be increased upto 16 mg a day.
Though allergic to probiotic yet you can try VSL#3,Its a quality controlled product and usually is tolerated well by sensitive patients.

All are Over the counter.

Get well soon.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Procedures
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Gastroenterologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor