Suggest nutritious diet plan while on anti tubercular treatment

Posted on Mon, 15 Jun 2015 in General Health
Question: Please suggest a good and nutrious diet plan while on anti tubercular treatment..i weigh 68 kgs.had a cesarean delivery 6 months backand later diagnosed with abdominal or pelvic tb
Answered by Meenakshi Attrey 16 hours later
Brief Answer:
Wholesome diet with added protein

Detailed Answer:

Greetings...!!!

There is no doubt that a wholesome and nutritious diet is very important in the management of tuberculosis. As you have delivered in recent past, it becomes even more important for you to be careful about your diet. A balance of nutrients especially protein is important to regain the strength and stamina and to fight the infection effectively.

I would suggest that you include more protein in your daily diet by adding Milk and its products, soy, mature legumes, beans, peas, pulses etc. If you take non vegetarian foods, include chicken, fish and egg white frequently. But when you take any type of non - vegetarian food, make sure that it is fresh and prepared with utmost care. Eating raw or under cooked meat may cause further infections. Key rule is to keep the preparations simple and as light as possible for better digestion.

You are also required to notice any type of bowel changes that may have occurred. If you experience bloating and indigestion then make sure that you divide the whole day’s meals into smaller portions and have them at frequent intervals. Doing so would prevent the food from getting fermented and would improve digestion.

It is also important to include immunity boosters. Fresh fruits and vegetables are potent sources of antioxidants. Take orange, pomegranates, pineapple, grapes, and yellow and green vegetables like spinach, mustard greens, XXXXXXX etc. Vit C has excellent antioxidant properties and foods rich in this vitamin like orange, lemon, amla, guava etc. enhances the absorption of other nutrients like iron and Vit E.

At this stage you might also be inclined towards losing the pregnancy weight. But if you are planning a low calorie diet, then I would suggest that you postpone the idea at present. You can start exercising at a comfortable pace to burn fat but it is important to include sufficient calories to prevent any tissue breakdown that may occur. Use ghee or homemade white butter, whole milk and its preparations like porridge, kheer, puddings, ice creams etc. fresh fruit juices provides more calories than the whole fruits thus take the juices and whole fruits in combination. Proprietary foods, especially drinks like horlicks and bournvita etc. may also be taken.

It is important to stay hydrated and make sure that all the meals are taken on time. Eat the correct food to avoid over feeding as it might cause complications like poor digestion and compromised nutrient absorption.

Since you are the mother of a six month old baby, it would be good to consult your doctor about your medications if you are still breastfeeding the baby. Also, case of an active infection, the doctor would be able advise you on the precautions to avoid the spread of infection.

Hope this helps.

Please feel free to ask further questions regarding the diet.

Meenakshi

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Meenakshi Attrey 2 days later
Right now i m just concerned about a healthy diet amd no weight loss..i m a vegetrian mam.pls provide me an appropriate dietchart if possible.my digestion is almost at halt,but i feel veey weak if i dont take my diet properly..

can u pls let me know what do you mean by saying in case of active infection doctor can tell me so that it does not spread..
Answered by Meenakshi Attrey 18 hours later
Brief Answer:
Sample Menu

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for the followup question.

All types of tuberculosis are not infectious. Active tuberculosis means that there is a chance of transferring the infection to anyone who may come in contact with the carrier. In most cases only pulmonary TB is contagious. You have abdominal/pelvic infection which is not communicable in most cases, but it is better to consult with the primary physician about the exact situation.

It is common to have digestion issues while on the treatment for TB, as the medications kills the healthy and beneficial Gut Flora that aids digestion. Taking light protein rich food would help. Here is a sample menu to help you understand the daily diet requirements.

SAMPLE MENU:

Early Morning:
Skimmed milk - 1 Glass ++ 3 almonds and 1 walnut - presoaked

Breakfast:
Vegetable dalia/ Upma/Poha/Oats - 1 cup ++ paneer cubes - 5 no with green tea (sugarless) -1 Glass
OR
Paneer chapatti - 2 no ++ potato sabji - 1 katori with green tea (sugarless) -1 Glass
OR
Boiled rajmah/ channa/ sprouts/black channa chaat with chopped cucumber and tomato - ¾ cup ++ Wheat Bread toast - 1 no with green tea (sugarless) -1 Glass
OR
Breakfast Cereals with skimmed milk - 1 Cup + Vegetable sandwich - 1 no with green tea (sugarless) -1 Glass

Mid-Morning:
Seasonal Fruits

Lunch:
2 chapatti + sabji -1 katori + dal or curd – 1 katori + salad 1 katori

Evening Snacks:
Light Tea / Coffee - 1 Glass ++ Light snacks ( non fried and less spicy)

Late evening snacks:
Skimmed buttermilk - 1 Glass ++ Nuts and dry fruits - a handful

Dinner:
2 chapatti + vegetable -1 katori + skimmed curd - 1 Katori + salad 1 - katori.
OR
Boiled Rice - 1 Cup + Dal / Veg Curry - 13/4 cup + Skimmed curd - 1 Katori + Salad - 1 Katori

Post Dinner:
Skimmed milk - 1 Glass or Flavored Soy milk -1 Glass

Fermented, spicy and greasy foods are difficult to digest and may aggravate the digestive issues. It is therefore best to avoid such foods and take a light diet. Other foods to be avoided are canned foods, coffee, excessive sugar and sweeteners,alcohol and too much tea ( green tea is allowed). Plenty of fluids and foods with healthy bacteria, like curd should be added in daily diet.

Hope it helps.

Meenakshi
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
thanks mam.,

i eat egg whites also..boiled one..is it good to take probiotic milk and curd....i m also taking protinex in milk,,can u pls let me know what vegetables should i eat,or should it be boiled or cooked...
Answered by Meenakshi Attrey 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Pro-biotics and protein supplements are safe

Detailed Answer:

You may eat all vegetables and fruits, there no restriction on these. But make sure that you wash the vegetables, fruits and salads properly. If you wish to eat raw vegetables, make sure that you peel them and avoid raw roots (turnip, radish, carrot beetroot etc.) while on treatment. Cooking method to be followed is also up to your preference, but it is important to have light meals and avoid too many spices, condiments and fat. Egg whites are excellent protein sources.

You may take hard boiled or otherwise properly cooked egg white preparations.
Pro biotic milk and curd are good as they help in maintaining a healthy gut flora. Regular use of probiotics also helps in overcoming the side effects of antibiotic treatment, like indigestion and bloating.

As discussed earlier, you should be taking a high protein diet with a good balance of other nutrients. This would help to overcome infection and maintain health. Dietary supplements are also safe and can be continued with treatment.

Meenakshi
Meenakshi
Meenakshi Attrey

Dietitian & Nutritionist