Suggest non surgical treatment for kidney stone removal

Dr. Shanthi.E

Posted on Sat, 30 Aug 2014 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: My grandfather is around 77 years. He was diagnosed with kidney stone some 5 years ago which was not a problem for him at that time. Nowadays, it has started giving problems like chest pain, disturbed sleeping, one sided sleeping, less hunger, etc.. When diagnosed again for some of the tests suggested by local doctors, the stone size is now significant and is now about 11mm, other tests are not a worry. I have two questions: whether he should be going under surgery or take some medicines at home to get relieved? Second, because he is not very much comfortable with surgeries, which medicines he might try to begin with? Is AIMIL NEERI syrup good for kidney stones? The position of this kidney stone is somewhat in the ureter (below the kidney).
Answered by Dr. Shanthi.E 20 hours later
Brief Answer:
surgery is required

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXX

Your grandfather is having a kidney stone of 11mm. Definitely, this needs surgical removal. Any kidney stone more than 10mm in size would require surgical removal.

It cannot be cured by medicines.

Please advise him to undergo the surgery.

no, AIMIL NEERI syrup is not good for kidney stones. There are no clinical trials on the same to prove it.

Since the stone is in the ureter, it can be easily basketed through the basket surgery.

I wish your grandfather and you, a very good health.