Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
170 Doctors are Online

Suggest non surgical treatment for kidney stone removal

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2005
Answered : 2408 Questions
My grandfather is around 77 years. He was diagnosed with kidney stone some 5 years ago which was not a problem for him at that time. Nowadays, it has started giving problems like chest pain, disturbed sleeping, one sided sleeping, less hunger, etc.. When diagnosed again for some of the tests suggested by local doctors, the stone size is now significant and is now about 11mm, other tests are not a worry. I have two questions: whether he should be going under surgery or take some medicines at home to get relieved? Second, because he is not very much comfortable with surgeries, which medicines he might try to begin with? Is AIMIL NEERI syrup good for kidney stones? The position of this kidney stone is somewhat in the ureter (below the kidney).
Posted Sat, 30 Aug 2014 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Shanthi.E 20 hours later
Brief Answer:
surgery is required

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXX

Your grandfather is having a kidney stone of 11mm. Definitely, this needs surgical removal. Any kidney stone more than 10mm in size would require surgical removal.

It cannot be cured by medicines.

Please advise him to undergo the surgery.

no, AIMIL NEERI syrup is not good for kidney stones. There are no clinical trials on the same to prove it.

Since the stone is in the ureter, it can be easily basketed through the basket surgery.

I wish your grandfather and you, a very good health.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Internal Med Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor